Eligibility: Coleman Research Innovation Award
FY22 applications will be accepted from July 1 until August 2, 2021 at 5 p.m. ET
This competitive award program is designed to support one-year innovative research projects contributed by postdoctoral fellows, staff scientists, and staff clinicians within the National Institutes of Health Intramural Research Program (NIH IRP) only that have the potential for high impact in three areas of minority health and health disparities research:
- Social and behavioral sciences
- Community and population health
- Social epigenomics
To be eligible, projects must:
- Focus on at least one of the three programmatic areas that are priorities for NIMHD DIR: (1) social and behavioral sciences, (2) community and population health, (3) social epigenomics.
- Either seek to understand complex factors that contribute to health disparities (not just enroll persons from minority groups) OR develop or test socio-behavioral interventions to reduce these disparities OR promote the health and well-being of a racial/ethnic minority population(s).
- Be based in the U.S. or its territories, although comparisons of immigrants in the U.S. with immigrants in their home countries are permitted.
- Preference will be given to candidates under the mentorship of NIMHD intramural or adjunct intramural investigators, although this is not a requirement of the award. No extramural projects will be funded under this award. Resubmissions are permitted.
Level of Support
The William G. Coleman Minority Health and Health Disparities Research Innovation Award will allow up to $15,000 for supplies and services to be spent by Friday, September 9, 2022.
Interested applicants may submit as research teams or individuals. Applications must be submitted as one PDF file and include the following components:
- Cover page with title of project, structured abstract (250-word limit), and member(s) of the research team; and NIMHD DIR priority area: (a) social and behavioral sciences, (b) community and population health, (c) epidemiology and genetics
- 3-page proposal (excluding references) that includes the following sections: a) Background, b) Specific Aims, c) Methods, d) Expected Outcomes, and e) Description of how successful completion of the proposal will have an impact on advancing the science of minority health and/or health disparities research in the U.S. or its territories
- Line-item budget and budget justification are required (not included in the 3-page limit)
- Applicant’s CV
- Letter of support from their mentor(s) indicating their support for the research and how successful completion of the proposed project will advance the career of the applicant
Applications will be accepted from July 1 until August 2, 2021 at 5 p.m. ET to NIMHD Coleman Awards at email@example.com. Applicants will receive notifications of award status by Friday, September 17, 2021.
Page updated June 21, 2021