Nadra Tyus, Dr.P.H., M.P.H.
Commander (CDR) Nadra Tyus, Dr.P.H., M.P.H., is a Health Scientist Administrator at NIMHD. Her role focuses on promoting research to understand the various domains of influence and biopsychosocial factors contributing to health disparities in the areas of population health, behavioral health and well-being. She provides her 15-year expertise to NIMHD programs in the areas of implementation science, evidence-based behavioral health and substance-use interventions, community-based participatory research, program evaluation, and health innovation.
Before coming to NIMHD, CDR Tyus worked over 9 years at the Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) in the Bureau of Primary Health Care (BPHC) and at the National Center for Health Workforce Analysis. In her position as a Team Lead in BPHC, she led the development of evidence-based training and technical assistance activities on the primary care integration of HIV/AIDS, oral health, behavioral health, and substance/opioid use in the health center setting.
CDR Tyus earned her Dr.P.H. in Behavioral and Community Health Sciences from the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health, an M.P.H. from the Medical University of Ohio, and a B.S. in Biological Sciences from Ohio University. Her postdoctoral training at the Johns Hopkins Urban Health Institute (2005-2008) focused on addressing health disparities using community-based participatory research.
- Lin, S., Tyus, N., Maloney, M., Ohri, B., Sripipatana. (2020) Mental Health Status among Women of Reproductive Age from Underserved Communities in the United States and the Associations between Depression and Physical Health. A Cross-Sectional Study. Plos One, vol. 15, no. 4.
- Boulton, M.L., Beck, A., Coronado, F., Merrill, J.A., Friedman, C.P., Stamas, G.D., Tyus, N., Sellers, K., Moore, J., Tilson, H., Leep, C. (2014). A Public Health Workforce Taxonomy. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 47(5 Suppl 3): S314-23.
- Tyus, N.C., Gibbons, M.C., Robinson, K.A., Twose, C., Guyer, G. (2010). In the Shadow of Academic Medical Centers: A Systematic Review of Urban Health Research in Baltimore City. Journal of Community Health, 35(4): 433-452.
- Tyus, N.C., Gibbons, M.C. (2008). Social Determinants of Health Disparities (Book Chapter). In eHealth Solutions for Healthcare Disparities. Springer.
- Gibbons, M.C., Tyus, N.C. (2007). Systematic Review of U.S.-Based Randomized Controlled Trials Using Community Health Workers. Progress in Community Health Partnerships, 1(4): 371-381.
- Tyus, N.C., Freeman, R.J., Gibbons, M.C. (2006) Development of a replicable process for translating science into practical health messages. Journal of the National Medical Association, 98(9): 1505-1509.
- Mazzaferro, K.E., Murray, P.J., Ness, R.B., Bass, D.C., Tyus, N.C., Cook, R.L. (2006) Depression, stress, and social support as predictors of high-risk sexual behaviors and STIs in Young Women. Journal of Adolescent Health, 39(4): 601-603.