Vivek H. Murthy Distinguished Lecture Series for Public Health Leadership
A Virtual Conversation with Surgeon General Vivek H. Murthy and National Academy of Medicine President Victor J. Dzau
Addressing COVID-19 Health Disparities, Root Causes, Mental Health Impacts, Lessons Learned and Future Opportunities
Thursday, May 27, 2021
1:00 p.m. EST
Dr. Eliseo J. Perez-Stable, Director, NIMHD
Dr. Monica Webb Hooper, Deputy Director, NIMHD
As we celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Chapter of the Federal Asian Pacific American Council (FAPAC) and the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD) invite you to this inaugural Dr. Vivek H. Murthy Distinguished Lecture Series on Public Health Leadership discussion.
This is the first in a series of fireside chats and lectures in honor of Dr. Murthy, the 19th and 21st Surgeon General of the United States. The series goal is to recognize public health leaders whose enduring efforts have made a significant impact in advancing public health. At this first event, Dr. Murthy will recognize Dr. Dzau, President of the U.S. National Academy of Medicine and an expert on global health, for his public health efforts during the pandemic.
Dr. Murthy and Dr. Dzau will:
- Discuss how public health leadership has shaped the COVID-19 pandemic response and efforts to address health disparities.
- Focus on potential root causes of health disparities and the mental health impact of the pandemic among diverse populations and geographic locations.
- Speak to lessons learned and future opportunities.
Please send your questions for the panelists by May 20, 2021 to Dr. Rina Das at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NIH Chapter of the Federal Asian Pacific American Council (FAPAC NIH)
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- FAPAC Food and Drug Administration Chapter
- FAPAC Health and Human Services Parklawn Chapter
- U.S. Public Health Service Asian Pacific American Officers Committee
- NIH Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Association of Asian Pacific Islander Employees of CDC (AAPIECA)
Sign language interpreters can be provided upon request. Individuals with disabilities who need reasonable accommodation to participate should contact Edgar Dews (phone: 301-402-1366) or the Federal Relay at 1-800-877-8339 at least one week in advance.
Page updated May 13, 2021