The Research Centers in Minority Institutions (RCMI) program supports specialized research centers in institutions that offer doctoral degrees in the health professions or the sciences related to health and have an historical and current commitment to educating underrepresented students. The primary goals of the RCMI specialized centers are to:
- Enhance institutional research capacity within the areas of basic biomedical, behavioral and/or clinical research,
- Enable all levels of investigators to become more successful in obtaining competitive extramural support, especially from NIH, particularly on diseases that disproportionately affect minority and other health disparity populations,
- Foster environments conducive to career enhancement with a special emphasis on development of new and early career investigators,
- Enhance the quality of all scientific inquiry and promote research on minority health and health disparities, and
- Establish sustainable relationships with community-based organizations that will partner with the RCMI institution.
Centers have an explicit focus on basic biomedical, behavioral, and/or clinical research.
NIH Guide No: RFA-MD-17-003