Priscah Mujuru, DrPH, MPH, RN, COHN-S
Dr. Priscah Mujuru manages a diverse research portfolio that includes clinical trials and community-based participatory research involving populations across the lifespan. Her interests include health disparities in women and child health; cognitive function and mobility in older adults; adherence to treatments and medication; and occupational and environmental health concerns. Dr. Mujuru is also interested in capacity building and training projects.
Prior to joining the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, Dr. Mujuru was a scientific review administrator at the Center for Scientific Review and the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development from 2010 to 2017, where she managed large and varied scientific review panels. Before 2010, Dr. Mujuru spent more than 17 years at West Virginia University, where she conducted clinical and community-based research addressing health disparities in asthma, obesity, and occupational and environmental exposures in rural populations. She also led projects in a biomedical pipeline program that introduced high school students from underserved and disadvantaged communities to health sciences careers. Internationally, Dr. Mujuru has guided projects that evaluated public health programs for health professionals and medical students in Africa. Dr. Mujuru collaborated on many projects with the Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics to develop physical assessment tools for occupational health nurses.
Dr. Mujuru earned a Dr.P.H. in epidemiology from the University of Pittsburgh, an M.P.H in environmental health from Boston University, a B.S. in occupational hygiene from London South Bank University, and a B.S.N. from West Virginia University. She also earned a State Registered Nurse (SRN) and State Certified Midwifery (SCM) in England. She is a board-certified occupational health nurse specialist (COHN-S).
- Doney, B., Hnizdo, E., Syamlal, G., Kullman, G., Burchfiel, C., Martin, C. J., & Mujuru, P. (2014). Prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among US working adults aged 40 to 70 years. National Health Interview Survey data 2004 to 2011. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 56(10), 1088-1093.
- Mujuru, P., Salana, H., Kellam, N., & Howell, C. (2011). Challenges to childhood asthma intervention delivery in hard-to-reach small rural communities: A school-based approach. Journal of Asthma and Allergy Educators, 2(5), 225-232.
- Mujuru, P., & Mutambudzi, M. (2007). Injuries and seasonal risks among young workers in West Virginia: A ten-year retrospective descriptive analysis. AAOHN Journal, 55(9), 381-387.
- Islam S., Edla S., Mujuru P., Doyle E., Ducatman A. (2003). Risk factors for physical assault: State-managed Workers’ Compensation experience. American Journal of Preventive Medicine; 25 (1): 31-37.
- Mujuru P., Niezen C. (2004). Evaluation of an environmental health education program: Assessing changes in knowledge of health professionals. AAOHN Journal; 52 (10): 437- 441.